Our Commitment to Sustainability SDG 3
October 14, 2022
October 14, 2022
REI, in alliance with the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals, aims to invoke positive, enduring community-led change. Read on to learn how the projects we support contribute to the achievement of Sustainable Development Goal 3, Good Health & Well-Being.
<< TARGET 3.1: Reduce maternal mortality >>
- The Karen State Maternal Healthcare Project provides 7 kilos of yellow beans to 50 pregnant or lactating women in the IDP camp, Ee Tu Hta, and surrounding villages
<< TARGET 3.2: End all preventable deaths under 5 years of age >>
- Our funding also provides 300 baby kits to mothers of new-born babies in 9 townships of 4 districts of Karen State, including Ee Tu Ta.
In 2018, one baby kit included:
<< TARGET 3.3: Fight communicable diseases >>
- Additionally, the Maternal Healthcare Project provides over 3,500 community members with 106 sessions of Women’s Health Awareness training.
- 2,948 female and 490 male participants
- Each session provides refugees and IDPs (internally displaced persons) life-saving information on personal hygiene, toilet etiquette, and the prevention of HIV/AIDS.
<< TARGET 3.5: Prevent and treat substance abuse >>
- The Thai-Myanmar Addiction Rehabilitation Center prevents and treats substance abuse amongst refugees/IDPs (internationally displaced persons) on the Thai-Myanmar border.
- Pre-assessment, detoxification, addiction education, and Narcotics Anonymous implemented for 50 clients annually.
- 50-60% sobriety rate in the 2 years following program completion.
<< TARGET 3.6: Reduce road injuries and deaths >>
- Rehabilitation, however, is not an individual process; Each client has a family, and each family a corresponding community or neighborhood.
- Treatment for 50 clients extends impact to over 250 (clients’ families) lives.
- Programming reaches 500 community members by reducing violence, theft, and fear that addiction brings.